Friday, June 21, 2013

The Power of the Tongue

I have been realizing lately that the thing that sometimes hinders me the most in my marriage is my inability to hold my tongue.  This revelation has created in me a desire to change that behavior and to learn how to hold back.  I have decided to dive right into the answer book for all of life's problems, the Bible, and see what God has to say about the tongue, since He after all is the Creator of everything, including our tongues.  One of my favorite websites to use when searching for what the Bible says about a particular topic is this Topical Bible.  From here when I search for Tongue I find so many verses where God talks about the tongue and it's power.  Here are a few that I found that I have decided to share.

Proverbs 21:23 Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.

Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits

Proverbs 29:20 Do you see a man who is hasty in his 
words?There is more hope for a fool than for him



Proverbs 15:4 A gentle tongue is a tree of life but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.




So, immediately I knew what I had to do if I wanted this area in my life to improve.  I have to come before God and ask for His help!











Matthew 7:7 - Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you

So here it is,

Dear Heavenly Father, I come before you asking with faith that I will receive the power of the Holy Spirit to help me hold my tongue in the future.  I desire, O Lord, to be a woman with a gentle tongue.  Dear God,  I want my tongue to be used to bring life, not death.  I want the words that come out of my mouth to honor You.  I want the self control that will prevent my mouth from uttering unkind words or words full of selfishness.  God make me more and more like your son Jesus, I want to be a light shining bright for You.  I want my husband to never hear me speak out in pride again.  I want to be humble, and kind, I want to lift up , encourage and cheer the man that you have chosen for me.  Thank you Lord, for giving me the assurance that I will be able to hold my tongue now in the future.  With Your Holy Spirit in me I can do all things.

Thank you, I love you!  In Jesus Name Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment